Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Story: The Talking Fish of Morna Sea

My entire life has been lived on the shores of the great Morna Sea. It is a beautiful and magical place full of the most amazing talking fish. These creatures have great powers and gifts to bestow on humans, but catching them is difficult and in your entire life you may only catch one.

To catch one of the talking fish you must go out into the Morna Sea and convince a fish to get into your boat. Some people try using nets or fishing rods to snare them and then get them into the boat, but this is not wise. If the fish does not freely choose to come into your boat, it’s powers and gifts may never be realized. The best way to get a fish is to speak to it until you know whether or not this fish has gifts that are beneficial to you. Then you invite the fish into your boat and offer it your gifts, and you make it free by carrying it onto the land.

Legend says that the talking fish once wandered the earth, but they were trapped in the Morna Sea by an evil curse. The only way for them to be free again is to be carried from the sea. Once they are set free they can either stay with the person who carried them, or they can wander the earth. Once the fish are out of the water they may choose not to share their powerful magic.

It is because the fish are so special, magical, and unique that my father always told me to be careful which fish I catch. I should only catch a fish if I am sure I will care for it, and a good fish will share it’s gifts even after it is set free.

My father always told me that I would be good at catching fish. I believed him, and when I was old enough, I went to the Sea to catch a talking fish.

Everyday for many years I went out on the Sea with my boat and a line and a net to see if I could catch a fish. Some days I forgot to look and instead floated on the gentle waves in my little boat. Some days I would spy a fish and would be so moved by it’s beauty and grace that I would chase after it. Sometimes I frightened fish away. Sometimes I was wounded by their powers. Other times I was left lonely and frustrated, wondering if the fish can talk at all.

This day, today, I went to my boat intending not to catch anything. I planned, instead, to simply drift over the waves and let the majesty of the sea change me.

As I left the house I thought I heard my father shout to me. At the time I thought it was clear, that he said, “Do not catch a fish today.” I thought he shouted and I went to the boat with no lure, no net, no pretense.

The day was lovely, warm with a cool breeze that made the sun feel marvelous against my face. I wasn’t thinking about fish, but instead I thought about flowers and springtime. Springtime. A time of new life and growth. I floated on the waves of springtime and smiled.

Splash! I looked to see what had made such a loud sound. Splash! Splash! I looked over the edge of the boat and saw a fish. It’s scales were blue and green, changing in different light and shining magnificently. I was not impressed at first, but the fish opened it’s mouth and began to speak.

It spoke of the land below the surface, of the depths of the sea. It told me stories swimming and adventures under the waves. I listened to the fish and found myself wanting it. I did not want to keep it if it did not want to be kept, but I wanted to set it free. I wanted to be the one take this fish to the land.

My father’s words rang through my head. “Did my father actual say that?” I wondered. I decided to talk to the fish, but I would not invite it into my boat. I would not set it free, nor could I set it free. I was resigned, strong, and resolute.

I watched the fish as it moved. This creature was more magnificent that I had seen. It’s beauty amazed me. I fought my desire, guiding my boat away from the fish.

It swam this way and that. I looked away. Then the current changed.

My boat began flowing in the direction of the fish. I gave myself over to the current, to the desire and decided to follow where it led. I thought about paddling in the other direction, but I could not tell why.

Was I wanting to flee because I believed my father had told me not to catch a fish today, or was I fleeing because I was afraid? I was not even sure I had heard my father correctly.

The last time I had gone on out to the Morna with the hopes of catching a fish, my father had told me to take great risks. I had done that, and been deeply wounded. I had a fish in my eye that was desirable and seemed to have the magical gifts that would change my life, but the fish flipped my boat. I almost drowned that day, and my arm was gashed on terrible rocks. It took a long to heal and I was not quick to get in my boat again.

Was I afraid to risk? Was I afraid of pain? Was I afraid of being disobedient? Was I afraid that my desire would harm this amazing creature?

I was torn. My heart ached. I didn’t know what to do. So I ….

How would you end the story? Does the character go for the fish? Is it fear trying to lead the character away? Is it disobedient to follow the current?

4 comments:

The Story Teller said...

Chelsea, you have no idea how insightful your ending is. I am overwhelmed. Thank you!!

The Story Teller said...

Funny that everyone sees the main character as a boy. I saw the main character as a young woman.

Anonymous said...

So I started to paddle in the other direction, using my hands to push the water away. The current was stronger though, and I soon gave up, allowing the current to pull me closer and closer to the fish. I saw the fish poke it's head out of the water, but I was too insistant on obeying my father. No invatation came out of my mouth as the fish talked to me. Instead, I told him, "I can come back tommarow, and the next day. Perhaps then I can set you free." The fish nodded, understanding my hesitation and sunk back below the water. The current seemed to switch direction and tugged me back to the pier. I quickly lept out, tied my boat up and ran to see my father.
"Father!" I shouted as I banged into the house. "Father I had the most interesting day!" I found my father sitting on the couch, his eyes closed. "What's wrong father?" I asked, worrying about him in his old age.
"Child. You talked to a fish today, didn't you."
"Yes father, but I obeyed you, I didn't invite him on my boat. Why did you ask that of me, the fish seemed nice enough. He could have given us everything we could have ever wanted."
"Yes my daughter." The old man sighed, "But would it have been worth it?"
I stumbled over my words a little, "I don't think I understand Father."
The old man sighed again, leanig back on his chair he satrted to talk, "Let me tell you a story child, a story of a younger, more foolish version of me. One day I ran out to my boat, I sailed out into the ocean and I was confornted by a fish who talked. In my excitement I didn't check my almanac, I simply invited him on my boat. We sailed back to shore, I released him and asked what his choice was. The fish looked at me and spit water on my robe, telling me that it was a bad choice of days to set a fish free. I didn't understand it at first, and walked home sadened. It was then that I looked in my almanac. The yellowed pages of the book told me that one day a year, when the waters are calm and the current has a will of it's own, anyone who sets free a talking fish shall be greatly punished. That day is today."
I was silent for a moment, letting my father's story sink in for a moment. "Father, you told me to take great risks. Wouldn't choosing to set free a fish on this day, dispite the bad that comes with it, dispite my fear and worry, wouldn't that be the greatest risk of all?"
Not waiting for my father to respond, I stood up and sprinted to my boat. I quickly untied it and sailed out into sea. After drifting along the water for many hours, the same fish poped it's head out of the water. Before it could talk, I quickly spoke, "I invite you into my boat. I will set you free."
We road back to land in silence. Finally, as the boat bumped the shore, the fish talked, "Why did you set me free, on this day, dispite your warning? Is your want for magical wellbeing that important that you risk it all?"
"No." I repsonded honesttly, "It's not for the magic, the friendship or anything else that I set you free except for this. Risking being pained, risking everything to get over my fear, that is why I set you free. I don't need your magical wishes, though they would be nice. Just as I don't need your compainenship, though I would love to call you a friend. I simply didn't want to be afraid and allow my fear to cause you to live imprisoned for one more day."
The fish nooded happilly and took my hand with it's fin. "Those are the right reasons. I have had many of people set me free on this day for careless reasons. You thought it through and did it for me. For that, I shall be your friend." We walked off, fin in hand, towards the house where my father still sat. When we got to the door, he smiled and told me what a great accomplishment I had. When my kids grow up and want to go off into the sea and catch their own talking fishes, I won't tell them the correct reasons for doing so. I will just hope that they risk their fear, risk their pain and risk everything to make their fishes life better, like I did.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love everyone's endings. They are all so clever and cool.

Ben and Chelsea, funny, I thought the character was a girl because I love fishing, so I associate fishing with me.
:-)
Yay for differences of opinions!
And yes, the decapitalization of names bothers me too!