Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Unburdening

Wow, I don't blog very often. Ashley told me that I need to. So, here goes. Assuming that no one is reading this I will actually try to blog for myself.

Several months ago I felt that if I get the opportunity to choose a sermon topic I should speak about healing.... Not physical healing but emotional healing... becoming whole. So I am preaching on that next week. As I am preparing I am finding that people are revealing their wounds to me in greater quantities than normal.

Giving the burdens to Christ

Part of my job, a part which I am not qualified for (like many aspects of my job), is to serve as a councilor to people. Parents sit in my office and talk to me about difficulties with their children. Wives talk about struggles with their husbands. Teenagers tell me about their relationships, struggles, and pain.

People are so broken.

What would it be like if we understood ourselves in the light of the reality of God's love for us? What if we understood the purpose of morality? Would we walk in greater freedom?

Would the young woman understand that the abuse she suffered and the rejection isn't going to happen for the rest of her life and would she rest in the confidence that her boyfriend really cares for her? Would she give up the jealousy and rage that has consumed her heart for so long?

Would my friend stop engaging in sexual relationships in order to have a beautiful healthy whole and healing relationship with someone who commits to her?

Would the teenager realize that her behavior has consequences and that she can live in a different way... that life can be good... that people will love her and care for her?

Would the young man's pain from an old custody battle be healed so that he could walk forward and comfort his friend who is being wounded by the custody battle looming over his head?

I so desperately want people to see God's love... I want them to know Him, to be transformed into him image. I want them to be changed, healed. To have joy and excitement at loving and serving God and those around them.

God has done so much healing in me.

1 comment:

Christina said...

This is one of those areas where I wish I could control people. To make them change and fix their problems. It's good to remember that God is in control and that He can heal anything, no matter how badly we mess it up.